Saturday 5 April 2014

A to Z Random Post # 5 - E - Empathy !








He throws me down.

I’m centered on the table.  

I begin to roll , slowly at first, and then at a rising pace, when he opens me.

I try looking out for a friend, but I’m floored by then !

He pulls me , with skillful ease, and trims and turns me again.

Minutes later, when he’s done with me, he takes me down and makes me stand in the sun.

I look at my friend, in empathy. I’m sorry I made fun of her when she was dancing to his beats a few hours back.

I now know what she must have gone through.



Becoming an earthen pot is no easy job  !!

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

'Throwing' is the process of creating an earthen pot in a potter's wheel. The 'table' here is the turntable, also called the 'wheel head'. 'Centering', 'Opening', ' Flooring', 'Pulling', 'Trimming' and ' Turning' are all steps in 'throwing' a pot.  Know more about it, here.

Linking this to A toZ 2014 and the Ultimate Blogging Challenge.


29 comments:

  1. Love the POV!

    Jean, visiting for the A-Z Challenge from Rantings and Ravings of an Insane Writer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! New follower here. I'm stopping by from the "A to Z" challenge, and I look forward to visiting again.

    Sylvia
    http://www.writinginwonderland.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh ho! So yours was empathy! Nice! AS usual a great post! Very insightful! We are sometimes like that earthen vessel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aha! That's an interesting one!! Agree with Danny, our character / personality is molded sometimes by other people's reactions, expectations, behaviours...

    ReplyDelete
  5. story from a very different angle :) loved it

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is great! Like it very much. Only after all that beating and basking, the lump of clay finds its purpose....kind of like us too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Superb!
    You've given the example of the clay pot. Even the potter's job looks simple and easy, but one realises how tough it is only when one tries to do it oneself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. didnt except the post to end with the story of earthen pot :-D loved it sreeja :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome take on the word empathy!!! Pot concept correlated was superb!


    S(t)ri
    Smile - It makes (y)our day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my, that ending kind of takes the cake... er... pot :P :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. My God, how did you come up with a thought like this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. In all your such posts, "end" is holding the key and determines the post :-). Another nice one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. പൊട്ടിപ്പോകാന്‍ വളരെ എളുപ്പവും!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The world needs a lot more of this!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely story.....I was trying to figure out what it was but couldn't.
    Even I wrote about empathy today.
    Great work.
    http://inderpreetkaur.blogspot.com/2014/03/e.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. LoL very cute. My daughter is into pottery, I'll be sure and show here this, I think she'll get a kick out of it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. How cute, you nailed it, Sreeja!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Now THAT was a clever one. Inanimate objects can feel empathy too. How well you kept the suspense, Sreeja!

    *Shailaja*
    Introspection in Shades of 11
    A to Z Challenge, 2014

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is brilliant! Simply brilliant ..I just don't have words !

    Random Thoughts Naba

    ReplyDelete
  20. Woah!!! I'm speechless!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Empathy of an earthen pot?? OMG! You nailed it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This one is simply awesome...few words but countless emotions...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Amazing story. How and when a person can be moulded, one can never know!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Its par excellence......the suspense
    Loved it

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a beautiful way to write a story of a pot!

    ReplyDelete
  26. hey!! congrats on the spicy Saturday pick :) that is beautifully written..so different, emotional and has learning value..brilliant!1 :)

    ReplyDelete

Speak to me here :) :)