Monday 6 April 2015

Post # 5 Eagerly, Easter ….and Espionage ! #atozchallenge



Though she remained numb for a long time that day, and a bit moody for some days that followed, Shreyasi felt  a sense of relief wash over her.

“I met him, Rosh, after all these years,” was her answer to Roshni’s  repeated questions. Roshni didn’t ask more. She knew Shreyasi would tell her when she was ready to.

Yes, she had met him.

The much awaited , yet dreaded meeting. One of a kind.  It left her a lot more disturbed than she had expected.

Because it awoke the memories she had so deliberately put to sleep.

She smiled at the thought of the words he had uttered.

He still seemed to be thrilled by her beauty.

Or, was he trying to charm her ? But, why would he ?

She couldn’t think more. She was now more aware of his proximity.

As days sped by, she tried to concentrate more on her work, increasing the number of patients she handled in a day, and spending her free time at the Clinic’s  Library  where medical journals from across the world were available, which she enjoyed reading.

The more she ran away from the thought, the closer it seemed to come. 

He was near. He was near.

What else did you come here for ? A feeble voice asked inside her, which she ignored.

What puzzled her all the more was that he had seemed so casual when he spoke.

 As if he hadn’t been surprised at all. As if it had been an arranged meeting. As if he had expected to walk into her that evening. As if he knew.

She was absorbed in this thought, when she got a call from Fr Varghese.

“ Hello Father, how are you ? No service today?”, she asked, trying to sound cheerful.

“ Hi. Yes of course, I’m getting ready for the Holy Mass. I just rang up to ask you if you’re free this Sunday”, he said in a pleasant tone.

She looked at the Calendar.  Sunday, 20th April, was her day off.

“ Yes, sure. Any events coming up which I can help you with ?”, she volunteered.

“ It’s Easter. I thought of inviting you over to the Church. We’re having special Holy Mass and later the Easter Eggs distribution at the Church. Come along, you’ll enjoy it.  You can take some away for the kids at your Centre too,” he said.

She smiled. That would be fun. 

“ Sure, Father. I’ll be there in the morning,” she answered , before bidding him goodbye.

On Sunday, when she entered the Church, the Holy Mass had just begun.  She joined in, silently praying to the Resurrected Son of God.  At the end of the Mass,  she watched the people receive the Holy Eucharist,  as calmness enveloped her.

She smiled at the thought of kids running around with their Easter eggs, as she entered Fr Varghese’s office ten minutes later.

“ Here’s your gift, dear. A whole lot of Easter eggs”, Fr Varghese said, handing over a  nicely wrapped big box to her.

“Thank you, Father,” she smiled, keeping the box on the table and sitting down for a conversation.

Fr Varghese waited for a few minutes for her to speak.

“ I met him, Father”,  she said, looking at him.

“ Ah, well, that explains this. I have something for you here”, he said, taking out a white envelope from his desk drawer and held it out for her.

She took it from him, and tore it open.

Inside it was a paper, neatly folded into three. She opened it, her hands trembling in excitement.

It was a hand written letter. From Aagney.

Dear Shrey,

So, we meet. Again.
I know you’re  still surprised at our meeting. You might be wondering how I walked in from nowhere, just like that. Right ? Ah, I know you so well.
It’s not entirely by chance. There are some things I do by choice too. Like spotting you at the Mall that evening, and choosing to talk to you.

See, as I always say, some things are destined to be.

Yes, I hear your silent questions.
Did I know you were here in the UAE ? Wasn’t it a surprise for me ?
Yes. And no.
How and why ?
You are sharp enough to guess. Still, let me give you a clue.

Any idea what made my book fall down that day at the Aquarium ? No ?
Well, the glass panel you were facing, as you sat with your back turned to me .
Where I saw your face reflected, when my attention was diverted for a moment from what I was reading.
You may not have noticed that paneling on that side of the wall.
But I did.
I noticed you, and your friend, who was on the phone a little away from you.

And yes, how do I know that you are in touch with Fr Varghese ?
That’s a story for another day.

As much in love as before,

Yours,
Aagney.

P.S : I love to write notes too. 

Her hands still trembling, she looked at Fr Varghese.

“This came with this month’s Charity Cheque , with a special request to hand it over to you when you came ”, he said.

As she bid goodbye to him and walked out on to the road, she felt her heart go light.

Her mission was progressing.

Ever since I knew you were close by,
I’ve felt light, I know not why…

End of the path seems reachable now,
Though I don’t know when and how….

Easy, the road ahead, doesn’t seem to be,
In patience, and hard work lies the key….

Exciting days wait to happen, I’m so sure,
As I smile away my day, at the way you allure…….


To be contd....

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

This post has been written for the A to Z Challenge 2015.


10 comments:

  1. Writing a serial is a good ploy to use the alphabets for the challenge.Though today's post whets my desire to read the full story at one go,I know I have to wait daily to read a portion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an awesome story teller, Sreeja. I can't wait to find out what happens next. There are so many questions whirling around in my mind now. Keep writing! :)
    *Shantala @ ShanayaTales*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent, Sreeja. Just love the way story progresses. Good job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Though i just came here with no background from A to D, this one was awesome enough to get me hooked. very well written and this story is going well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so want to know what the mission is now! I loved your style of narration Sreeja. The story is looking good :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. കഥ വളരെ ഇന്ററസ്റ്റിംഗ് ആയി മുന്നേറുന്നു. എല്ലാ അദ്ധ്യായങ്ങളുടെയും അവസാനം ചേര്‍ക്കുന്ന ആ വരികള്‍ അതീവഹൃദ്യം

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the word - espionage - hooks you into a story immediately :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is quite an intriguing story. I would like to find out what happens to the characters next.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent writing and great storytelling. Very talented you are!
    Michele at Angels Bark

    ReplyDelete
  10. my goodness...the pace is so wonderful! I love the way ur describing each scene so vividly!

    ReplyDelete

Speak to me here :) :)